Over 28,000 people evacuated from Nagorno-Karabakh - Armenian govt
YEREVAN. Sept 26 (Interfax) - More than 28,000 people have been evacuated from Nagorno-Karabakh, the Armenian government said on Tuesday.
"At this point, 28,120 displaced persons from Nagorno-Karabakh have entered Armenia," the government said.
It was reported that a humanitarian center was set up in the village of Kornidzor near the Lachin corridor which links Armenia and Nagorno-Karabakh.
All citizens without a fixed abode are being provided with accomodation by the Armenian government.
According to official data, Nagorno-Karabakh had around 120,000 residents of Armenian ethnicity.
Earlier on Tuesday, the head of the United States Agency for International Development, Samantha Power, said Armenia will be granted $11.5 million as part of humanitarian aid for displaced people from Nagorno-Karabakh.
For the same purpose, the European Commission will grant Armenia $5 million.
Sweden will give the International Committee of the Red Cross 15 million kronas (over $1.3 million) for the refugees' humanitarian needs.