20 Mar 2023 18:08

Six Kazakh parties make it to parliament according to election results, including opposition National Social Democratic Party - CEC preliminary results

ASTANA. March 20 (Interfax) - According to the preliminary results of the March 19 early elections to the Majilis in Kazakhstan, six parties passed the 5% electoral threshold required for making it to the parliament, Kazakh Central Elections Commission Chairperson Nurlan Abdirov said at a press briefing on Monday.

The ruling Amanat (former Nur Otan) party is leading with 53.90% of the vote. It is followed by the Auyl People's Democratic Patriotic Party with 10.90% of the vote and the Respublica party with 8.59%, Abdirov said.

The Ak Zhol Democratic Party received 8.41% of the vote, the Kazakh People's Party garnered 6.80% and the National Social Democratic Party (NSDP), positioning itself as an opposition party, 5.20%.

The Baitak greens party did not pass the required 5% electoral threshold to enter parliament. It won 2.30% of the vote.

The eighth Majilis, unlike previous convocations, was elected under a mixed electoral system with 70% of deputies elected on party lists and the remaining 30% from single-seat constituencies. Kazakh voters elected 98 deputies to the Majilis, 69 on party lists and 29 from single-seat constituencies.

All of the seven parties registered in the country participated in the parliamentary elections that took place in Kazakhstan on Sunday.

The previous Majilis elections were held in January 2021. Five parties took part in them, and three of them, the Nur Otan (currently Amanat) ruling party, which won 76 seats in the Majilis, the Ak Zhol party (12 seats) and the People's Party of Kazakhstan (10 seats) managed to make it to the Majilis.

sb kpiz