25 Oct 2022 17:46

Moldova bans mining cryptocurrencies, illuminating buildings over energy crisis

CHISINAU. Oct 25 (Interfax) - Moldova's emergency situations commission has banned the mining of cryptocurrencies in the country, as well as the import of equipment for it, which is one of the measures adopted in connection with the energy crisis.

Among other measures, there is a requirement for owners of buildings keep temperatures inside below 20 degrees Celsius during working hours and no higher than 15 degrees Celsius outside of working hours. Building owners must also turn off fountains and advertising, decorative, and architectural lighting.

Escalators in buildings must be shut down from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and from 6:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.

Moldova is facing an energy crisis at the end of October after Ukraine stopped exporting 30% of the electricity that the country needs and now that Moldovan GRES is unable to supply the remaining 70% under contract in connection with a reduction in gas supplies to Moldova on the part of Gazprom . Moldova is currently urgently purchasing electricity from Romania during the shortage.