13 May 2020 10:40

UNSC resolution on global ceasefire amid coronavirus pandemic 99% ready - Nebenzya

NEW YORK. May 13 (Interfax) - The draft of the UN Security Council resolution, which calls for a global ceasefire amid the coronavirus pandemic and which is authored by France and Tunisia, is 99% ready, and it is planned to finalize the work on the remaining 1% in the near future, Russian Permanent Representative to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya said at a video press conference.

"The resolution's text is 99% ready. The work on the remaining 1% has yet to be finalized. This 1% is the main stumbling stone for now, and we are planning to resolve the issue shortly. Hopefully, we will succeed," Nebenzya said.

UN Security Council members discussed the draft resolution and "further work on it" on Tuesday, he said.

"All members of the UN Security Council seek to reach a final understanding, which will allow us to adopt the resolution. I do not think that the Security Council will be divided over the issue. There are some problems or, actually, one problem which has obstructed the achievement of consent," Nebenzya said.

"The current form of the resolution is a result of compromise," he said.

"We are not 100% satisfied with its content, and I am not sure that every Security Council member is happy either. Everyone is discontent with certain provisions," Nebenzya said.

Russia "sees no problem with the role of the World Health Organization," he said.

"The role of the WHO as the chief international body in the field of healthcare cannot be ignored," Nebenzya said.

In April 2020, France and Tunisia presented a draft of the UN Security Council resolution, which calls for an immediate global ceasefire.

According to the draft copy possessed by Interfax, the UN Security Council demands an immediate and universal ceasefire in every country on the planet.

The draft calls on all parties to armed conflicts to instantly declare a humanitarian truce for at least 30 days.

It also suggests that the UN peacekeeping forces be allowed to support national efforts to contain coronavirus.

The mention of the WHO in the draft resolution remains an unresolved question.

In April, the UN General Assembly unanimously adopted a resolution, which called for universal access to medications, protective equipment, and future coronavirus vaccines and acknowledged the important, leading role played by the WHO in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic. The United States decided to distance itself from the resolution provision concerning the WHO.