23 Dec 2009 10:18

China Unicom boosts broadband bandwidth in 31 cities

Beijing. December 23. INTERFAX-CHINA - China United Network Communications Corp. (China Unicom) announced on Dec. 22 that it has finished upgrading its broadband network in 31 cities.

The RMB 10 billion ($1.46 billion) project has increased Internet bandwidth for 80 percent of China Unicom's customers in these cities to at least 2 megabits per second, China Unicom said. The remaining 20 percent will receive bandwidth at speeds of 4 megabits per second or higher.

China Unicom started the upgrades in August and is now developing applications that take advantage of the faster network, including those for remote education, high definition video and remote printing.