11 Oct 2010 12:18

Ultrasound equipment trade worth $522 mln Jan - Jul

Shanghai. October 11. INTERFAX-CHINA - China's trade in ultrasound imaging equipment was worth $522.03 million in the first seven months of 2010, according to statistics released by the China Chamber of Commerce for Import and Export of Medicines and Health Products on Oct. 9.

In the first seven months this year, China exported 25,309 ultrasound imaging units worth $230.38 million in total, and imported 4,872 units worth $291.66 million, the chamber said.

Black and white imaging units accounted for 65 percent of exports, while higher-priced color systems comprised the remaining 35 percent. Conversely, 92 percent of imports were color units, while black and white units made up only 8 percent.

The top three exporters of ultrasound imaging equipment by value were Shenzhen-based Mindray Medical International Ltd., GE Healthcare China, and Philips and Neusoft Medical Systems Co. Ltd., which together accounted for 47.6 percent of the total, the Chamber said.

According to a study by InMedica, a division of pharmaceutical intelligence provider IMS Health, the value of China's ultrasound imaging equipment market will exceed $1 billion by 2014 due to the country's ongoing healthcare reform.

- MS