Russian Defense Ministry sends letters to chiefs of Turkish General Staff, intelligence service after militants launch drone attack from Idlib
MOSCOW. Jan 10 (Interfax-AVN) - The Russian Defense Ministry has sent letters to the chiefs of the Turkish General Staff and intelligence service to declare the need for implementing the ceasefire by the armed formations in Syria's Idlib de-escalation area controlled by Ankara, the ministry's newspaper Krasnaya Zvezda said on Wednesday.
Militants launched a drone attack on Russian military bases in Syria in the small hours of January 6 from the Idlib de-escalation area, the newspaper said, citing the Russian Defense Ministry.
"It has been established that the drones were launched from the area of Muazzara in the southwestern part of the Idlib de-escalation area controlled by the so-called 'moderate opposition' units," Krasnaya Zvezda said.
"Therefore, the Russian Defense Ministry sent letters to Chief of the Turkish General Staff Chief Gen. Hulusi Akar and Chief of the National Intelligence Organization Hakan Fidan," it said.
'Those documents declared the need for Ankara's implementation of its commitment to ensure the ceasefire by the controlled armed units and step up the deployment of observation posts in the Idlib de-escalation area for the purpose of preventing similar drone attacks on any facilities," Krasnaya Zvezda said.
The Russian Defense Ministry reported earlier that Russian forces prevented an attack by 13 drones on Russia's bases in Hmeimim and Tartus in the small hours of January 6.