Moscow mayor's office's refusal to permit 'social march' appealed in court - Udaltsov
MOSCOW. Feb 6 (Interfax) - The applicants of a social march for the rights of the Moscow metropolitan area residents have appealed the Moscow authorities' refusal to permit the rally, Left Front coordinator Sergei Udaltsov said.
The organizers of the social march submitted their complaint to Moscow's Presnensky District Court requesting to recognize the refusal to permit a public event as illegal today," Udaltsov told Interfax.
The organizers hope the court would render a decision before the date of the rally, he said.
If the Moscow authorities do not offer the organizers an alternative route, the rally will be held in the form of the mass submission of petitions to the reception office of the Russian president's administration, the beginning of the rally is slated for 1:00 p.m. on February 10, he said.
Udaltsov earlier said that a notification had been filed seeking authorization of the 'social march' on February 10.
The organizers of the event are an association of Moscow and Moscow region activists, he said.
The organizers requested authorization of a march from Pushkin Square on the Boulevard Ring to Sakharov Avenue, where a rally would take place. The event would begin at 1:00 p.m. The organizers expect up to 5,000 participants.
On January 30, the organizers had received a response from the Moscow authorities stating that it is impossible to hold the rally at the proposed site, but no alternative routes were suggested causing the applicants to send their objections to the Moscow mayor's office on January 31. No response to them has been received so far, Udaltsov said.