Ban on Navalny's travel outside Russia could be related to reimbursement for Kirovles damages
MOSCOW. Nov 13 (Interfax) - The prohibition of opposition activist Alexei Navalny's travel outside Russia may be related to the collection of over 2.1 million rubles in damages in the Kirovles case, which bailiffs started last week.
According to the databank of the Federal Bailiff Service, the Kirov interregional department for high-profile enforcement proceedings opened a case on November 9 to collect 2.164 million rubles in reimbursement for "the damages caused by the crime."
The case is based on the enforcement writ issued by Moscow's Nikulinsky District Court on September 21, 2018.
The Federal Bailiff Service has yet to respond to Interfax's request for comment.
Navalny said on Tuesday that he had been prohibited from leaving Russia. According to a copy of the notice that he posted on his website, the Federal Bailiff Service had imposed the ban; the reason was not specified.
On July 3, 2018, the Moscow City Court dismissed Kirovles's appeal of the decision to collect 2 million rubles from Navalny and two more persons accused of embezzling Kirovles property.
In the summer of last year, the Nikulinsky District Court ordered the collection of 2.164 million rubles from Navalny, businessman Pyotr Ofitserov, and former Kirovles head Vyacheslav Opalev, thereby partially upholding Kirovles' claim of over 16 million rubles.
Neither side was happy with the court ruling. In the opinion of Kirovles representatives, the sum was too small and would not offset the damages caused by the convicts. The defense teams of Navalny and Ofitserov, for their part, said that the court had completely disregarded the opinion of the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), which ruled that the case constituted arbitrary administration of justice and that Navalny's and Ofitserov's activity was indistinguishable from normal commercial operations.