Russia advances to next stage in Saudi Arabian nuclear plant tender - Likhachev
MOSCOW. Dec 18 (Interfax) - Russia has advanced to the next round in the tender on construction of a nuclear power plant in Saudi Arabia, the head of Russian state corporation Rosatom, Alexei Likhachev, told journalists.
"In Saudi Arabia, we transitioned together with other countries, to Phase B. We are preparing all the prescribed documents, taking part in all procedures for construction of two large reactors," Likhachev said. "This is always a negotiating topic, between the king, the crown prince and the leadership of the country. Events are developing. I estimate that they will develop slowly," he said.
At the beginning of October, a source at Rosatom told Interfax that the state corporation expects to receive a response from Saudi Arabia to its proposal for construction of a nuclear power plant in 2019. "The process is underway. It is proceeding according to the rules set down by Saudi Arabia. We are fully participating," the source said, adding: "We believe our proposal is the best." The specifics will appear in 2019. "We expect clarification of the situation next year. I cannot say to what extent it will be formalized," the source said.
Energy Minister Alexander Novak told reporters in February 2018 that Rosatom had applied to participate in the Saudi tender. In July it was reported that Rosatom had been included on the short list for advancement to the next phase.