Case involving terror attack in St. Petersburg metro sent to court - state prosecutors
MOSCOW. Feb 1 (Interfax) - The criminal case involving the terrorist attack in the St. Petersburg metro has been sent to the Moscow District Military Court, Prosecutor General's Office spokesman Alexander Kurennoi told Interfax on Friday.
"The case has been sent to the Moscow District Military Court to be tried on the merits," Kurennoi said.
Kurennoi said a deputy prosecutor general had approved an indictment in the criminal case against 11 people charged with organizing a terrorist group and participating in it, the perpetration of a terrorist attack in the St. Petersburg metro, and the circulation of illegal weapons and explosives.
"The investigators believe Akbarzhon Dzhalilov brought two explosive devices that had been made by members of the terrorist group into the metro on April 3, 2017. He placed one of the bombs on the platform of the Ploshchad Vosstaniya metro station and kept the other one. However, the explosion at the station did not happen, as the homemade explosive device was found, defused, and seized in time," Kurennoi said.
Dzhalilov set off the second bomb in the car of a train between the stations Sennaya Ploshchad and Tekhnologichesky Instiut, Kurennoi said. "The explosion killed 15 people, 67 people were injured, and the St. Petersburg metro suffered damage in the amount of 108 million rubles," he said.
Members of the criminal group were preparing to carry out another terrorist attack in St. Petersburg, for which they made an explosive device in April 2017, he said. "However, they could not carry it out, as the homemade bomb was found and seized in the men's residence when they were detained on April 5, 2017," Kurennoi said.
The Investigative Committee's main directorate for investigations of especially important cases was in charge of the case, he said.