Minsk bomb threats false
MINSK. Aug 19 (Interfax) - Law enforcement agencies have concluded checking public buildings in Minsk, reports of bombs planted in them proved false, Belarusian Interior Ministry spokesperson Olga Chemodanova said on her Telegram channel.
"The events to examine the buildings of the organizations, which received reports of danger today, have concluded. No suspicious and dangerous objects were found," Chemodanova said.
Urgent investigative actions are currently underway, the circumstances of the incidents are being established, she said.
On Monday morning, Belarusian law enforcement and rescue services were hit by a wave of anonymous reports about bombs planted at critical facilities, including a train station, a national airport, five Minsk hotels. Reports of bombs planted at media outlets' offices and major shopping malls were received in the afternoon.
It was reported earlier that over 2,000 people had to be evacuated from the Minsk-2 airport, the train station, and several hotels after they had received bomb threats, which later turned out to be false alarms, the Interior Ministry said.
Meanwhile, the Investigative Committee has launched a criminal inquiry into false reporting of danger. There have already been 35 such cases since the beginning of this year; 14 suspects were identified, and six cases resulted in convictions, the committee said.